This question became the subject of public discussion after the recent video interview of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome were he said “Masturbation is not a sin”. My reaction to the topic wasnt formed via a newspaper’s or a columnist’s interpretation of his words and not even fellow clergymen’s comments but after a personal viewing
In Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s words: masturbation is just a habit. He said the uncleaniless the bible was talking about wasnt Masturbation but sleeping with animals. Masturbation is a habit like every other habit like playing football. It is very logical to stop every bad habit when one decides to stop but logic or reasoning alone cannot explain spiritual things
Masturbation is simply a self-induced sexual gratification. Kirk Franklin’s career was almost ruined as a result of Masturbation and he confessed to how God resued him
1. Nigeria been a religiously sentimental state by nature, makes a public discussion/debate of one’s spiritual beliefs a lost cause
2. Religion cannot be effectively practiced in isolation to the culture and tradition of the people in the given society
3. Every society to an extent defines its concept of bad or good and inserts them to its religious pratices. Even Times also influences the definition of good or bad or sin. Can u remember when not been a virgin was a taboo/sin in our society but is that the case now? I guess not everything bad is a sin? Or maybe not
4. A detailed understanding of the concept of spirituality shows that sexual engagement (whether by a single or married being) reduces/affects one’s spiritual growth
5. I personally belief whatever one does in secrecy, not proud of or pricks one’s conscience should be or is a sin and this extends to the concept of masturbation. Let me ask u, can a father proudly tell his son he masturbates or a woman brags in public about her masturbating experiences? Well, the answer to these questions definitely vary with each society
As a man of God or a public figure, Pastor Chris should have made his views on Masturbation private as it might set a bad precedence to some and even encourage or mislead others in to the habit and becomes an alibi.
Spirituality or religion is very personal and for growth, it is best for worshippers to have a mind of their own while not forsaking the fellowship of their brethren. The greatest weapon of a man can use in preaching the word of God is in his lifestyle/behaviour. As the scriptures says “by their fruits we shall know them”
My Final words:
My emphasis here isnt to condemn the Man of God, whether he committed blasphemy, sinned or not but that his message on Masturbation is not meant and right for our society but could be welcomed in the western world. Even in the bible, Gods message to His people were personal. His letters to the Phillipians differed from the Ephesians and the Thessalonians.
Here are some suggestions for your first post.
- You can find new ideas for what to blog about by reading the Daily Post.
- Add PressThis to your browser. It creates a new blog post for you about any interesting page you read on the web.
- Make some changes to this page, and then hit preview on the right. You can always preview any post or edit it before you share it to the world.